- Introduction. Kyushu University’s LL.D. program offers students the unique opportunity of preparing a doctoral thesis in English whilst studying at a Japanese university.
Participants will pursue a closely supervised program of research prior to submitting a final dissertation.
- Program Duration. Participants will pursue a closely supervised program of research for 6 consecutive semesters (3 years) prior to submitting a final dissertation.
- Subject Areas for Doctorates. The doctoral thesis may be on any law-related subject agreed in consultation with the academic supervisors and approved by the LL.D. Faculty Committee.
The research interests of faculty members involved in the LL.D. program are available here
2. Admission Requirements
For admission to the LL.D., students must meet the following requirements:
- All applicants are expected to have engaged in some form of law study at graduate level.
- A good command of English. A TOEFL score of 250+ (computer-based), 600+ (paper-based), or 100+ (Internet-based) or equivalent is required for non-native English speakers.
- Sufficient financial support for the duration of the program.
3. Application Materials & Procedure.
Application requirements and procedures for the LL.D. vary depending on whether the applicant wishes to apply for financial aid or not, and what type of financial aid the applicant is seeking.
Section 4 below contains a list of financial aid options and the relevant application materials.
4. Tuition, Other Fees & Living Costs
5. Financial Aid
The various university fees and estimated living costs are as follows:
- Kyushu University Registration Fee: 30,000 yen
- Kyushu University Entrance Fee: 282,000 yen
- Kyushu University Tuition Fee per Semester: 267,900 yen. (Entrance and Tuition Fees will be changed annually.)
- Monthly living costs: 100,000 yen
- Money for arrival. The amount of cash you should bring on arrival varies depending on your personal situation. Based on the experience of former students, we would recommend that you bring a minimum of 150,000 yen if you are staying in university accommodation and 200,000 yen if you are staying in private accommodation
- Japanese Government Scholarship
2 LL.D. students per year will be supported by special scholarships from the Japanese government.
The scholarship will cover all fees as well as a monthly stipend, and a return economy class air ticket to Fukuoka.
Further details on eligibility and procedure can be found in the Application Guidelines. The application deadline will be Jan. 18, 2013.
Application Guidelines and the Application Form for the Japanese Government Scholarships can be downloaded here.
- Self-financing (including scholarships from home country or other source)
Students also have the option to self-finance their study. The tuition fee, other fees and living costs can be found in Section 5 above.
Application Guidelines and the Application Form can be downloaded here.
6. Contact Details & Inquiries
Application materials should be submitted to:
Admission Office of the International Programs, Graduate School of Law, Kyushu University, 6-19-1 Hakozaki, Higashi-ku, Fukuoka 812-8581, Japan.
Inquiries regarding this program should be addressed to: